Start your half day trip from Barcelona in a comfortable Bus to the mountain of Montserrat which rises majestically to 4,051 feet (1,236 meter). The rocks of Montserrat were formed by natural cement of sand during the centuries. The wind and rain shaped the mountain with strange and varied forms. The popular imagination has seen human or animal shape in some of these peaks, giving those names and inventing legends to explain their fantastic origins. This trip to Montserrat will give you the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful and breath-taking views of the Montserrat Mountain, one of nature’s special creations.
You will visit the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, which holds the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of Verge Moreneta (the Black Madonna). You will be able to see this famous statue of the Black Madonna from a distance. The Benedict sanctuary of Montserrat has been founded in 1025 and provides a mystical backdrop for the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery’s Royal Basilica. The little monastery soon began to receive pilgrims and visitors who contributed to the spread of stories of miracles and wonders performed by the Virgin. Today, Montserrat has been modernized to continue attending to the needs to pilgrims, one thousand years after it was originally founded.
You will be given some free time to visit the audio visual exhibition about the history and creation of Montserrat. And taste typical liquors of Montserrat.
The Escolania of Montserrat is one of the oldest boys choirs in Europe (XIV Century). On some days the children’s choir sings in the monastery and so you may be fortunate enough to catch one of their delightful performances. Their timeframe is subjected to the school calendar and special events of the choir and monastery.
PERIOD: 01 April 2017 – 31 March 2018
DEPARTURE TIME: 09:15 AM
CHECK IN TIME: 09:00 AM
DURATION: 5 ½ hours approx.
DEPARTURE POINT: Balmes, 5 (Barcelona)
ARRIVAL POINT: Balmes, 5 (Barcelona)
TYPE OF SALE: Free Sale
CANCELLATION POLICY: 24 hours free of charge. Less than 24 hours or No Show 100%.
BLACKOUT DATES: 25Dec, 01Jan
VOCUHER TYPE: Printed voucher and E-voucher
- Air conditioned motor coach
- Bilingual guide
- Taste of 4 typical liquors. Handmade by the monks of the monastery.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”. The exhibition is based on three fundamental pillars: mountain, monastery and sanctuary. It explains to its visitors the history, natural creation and significance of this pilgrimage site.
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
- Please be aware that some walking is included during this tour, please come prepared and we recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- At Montserrat there is a mountains climate, depending on the season you will need clothes protecting you from the rain and/or cold.
This program has the collaboration of Diputació de Barcelona